The cemeteries in the Edneyville community contain the graves of some of the earliest pioneer settlers to enter Henderson County.
Sections of the community are east of the Continental Divide that was open for settlement prior to 1783.
Many of the earliest settlers entered what is today Henderson County from the old Rutherford County. Many owned land in Rutherford County and what is today Polk County for years prior to the Revolutionary War. In some cases, their land bordered what is today Henderson County.
When the state of North Carolina declared land west of the Continental Divide open for settlement in 1783, these settlers claimed land near their earlier land holdings and others began moving from old Rutherford County and what is today Polk County into the newly opened land.
From 1783 to 1810 many settlers began moving into today’s Edneyville community.
Not only do the cemeteries in Edneyville tell the story of the community, they also tell the story of Henderson County.
Please click on the links below to read more detailed information on some of the historic churches and cemeteries in Edneyville.
Edneyville United Methodist Church
Hill Family Cemetery at Reedy Patch
Hiram King Cemetery (King’s Grove Baptist Church)
Mills Family Cemetery (William Mills)