Died as Prisoner of War
1. Shipman, Edmond C. (Edward) died of disease 3-8-1864 in the Confederate prison at Richmond, Va.
Executed by Confederate Army
1. Kuykendall, Ezekiel was executed as a Confederate traitor 2-15-1865 at Petersburg, Va. He had deserted the Confederate Army and joined the Union’s 2nd N.C. Mounted Infantry. He was captured on recruiting duty 8-15-1864 while in a Federal uniform in North Carolina.
Killed on the Home Front
1. Gilbert, Daniel was killed 6-17-1864 at South Hominy Creek, Buncombe County after deserting the Union Army. “…Killed near Asheville NC by Rebbles while trying to pass through the lines to his home.”
2. Sentell, James Lewis was killed in a skirmish 7-17-1864 in Haywood County. He deserted the Confederate Army, joined the Union’s 2nd N.C. Mounted Infantry, and was listed as a deserter from the Union on 5-4-1864.
3. Sentell, John E. was killed in a skirmish 7-17-1864 in Haywood County. He was listed as a deserter from the Union’s 2nd N.C. Mounted on 5-4-1864.
4. Shipman, John Toadman, Jr. was killed 1-27-1865 in Henderson County. There is nothing on his military record about his death. He had deserted the Union’s 2nd N.C. Mounted Infantry on 3-10-1864.
1. Kuykendall, Joseph died 12- 22-1864 when he was thrown from a horse. The location of his death was not noted in the military record.
Died of Disease
1. Capps, William (L.) died of typhoid fever 1-10-1865 in Sevier County, Tenn.
2. Corn, Ezekiel W. died of scurvy 3-4-1865 at Fort Rice in the Dakota Territory. He was a Confederate soldier and captured by the Union on 5-6-1864. He was a Confederate prisoner at Point Lookout, Md. He joined the 1st U.S. Volunteer Infantry on 6-1-1864 to get out of the Union prison.
3. Drake, William died of typhoid fever 2-25-1864 at Cumberland Gap, Ky.
4. Evans, Henry P. died of typhoid fever 4-16-1865 at Boone, N.C.
5. Garren, Mitchell E. died of disease 12-5-1864 at Knoxville, Tenn.
6. Gillespie, Philip died of dysentery 1-15-1864 at Maynardsville, Tenn.
7. Gillespie, Wilson died of typhoid fever in 1864 at Tazwell, Tenn.
8. Jones, John (Sr.) died of disease in 1864 at Cumberland Gap, Ky.
9. Orr, George L. died of typhoid fever 11-17-1864 at Cumberland Gap, Ky.
10. Osteen, Elisha died of disease 7-17-1864 at Knoxville, Tenn.
11. Osteen, John Calvin died of disease 9-1-1864 in Henderson County.
12. Underwood, George Washington died of disease 4-8-1864 at Clairborne, Tenn.