Beulah Baptist Church Cemetery

Beulah Baptist Church was originally established in 1815 in the Etowah community. The church was moved to the Big Willow community in 1843.
“March, 1843, it was agreed to move Beulah Baptist Church to the mouth of Big Willow Creek, to the public school house, done by the order of the church [Jeremiah Osborn, church clerk].  …  The church agreed to appoint a committee for the purpose of making a sale of the old meeting house.  This was on the Efram Henry Land.  …  In 1844, Efram Henry made a deed to Joseph and Noah Henry for land on Bridge Creek, the old Everet School House property on McClain line, Laurel Creek, Fat Mountain, and Hamilton line, thus completing the sale of the original site of Beulah Baptist Church. ”
For photographs of the church and more information, visit
After the move to the Big Willow community, according to church records, church members met in the school house near Big Willow Creek. The congregation joined with Willow Church in 1882 and eventually built a meeting house.
Renovations were made to that structure in 1910. The 1910 building served the church until 1977, when the current church moved to the corner of Willow and Big Willow roads.
Persons buried in the church cemetery tell the story of the early settlers into this area of Big Willow prior to the Civil War and later. Families with grave sites in the community include the surnames of Anders, Blythe, Cantrell, Drake, Erwin, Huggins, Jones, Justus, Mace, McCrary, Middleton, Mintz,Nelson, Orr, Revis, Sentell, Shipman and more.
Based on death dates inscribed on stones located in the cemetery, the cemetery was possibly a Blythe family cemetery before the church began using it.
The oldest inscribed stones are those of William Blythe who died at the age of 34 years in 1818, Sarain B. Blythe (187-1828), and Jesse B. Blythe (1775-1838).
One person from Henderson County who died in World War II has a grave site within the cemetery. William “Willie” Allard Middleton was killed in action during the drive to the Rhine River.
There are 10 men who served in the Confederate Army with grave sites in this cemetery: Jesse Blythe, John Leander Blythe, Volney C.V. Cantrell, John Franklin Justus, Joseph J. McCall, Elisha Mintz, Charles S. Morris, Green Berry Nelson, James Franklin Revis and William Riley Shipman.
There are eight men who joined the Union Army in the last two years of the Civil War with grave sites in the cemetery: George F Blythe, Gilford Sentelle Jefferson Blythe, Robert O Blythe, Levi Cantrell, Otis Milton Huggins, James Fleming Mace, Solomon Armstrong Mace and Robert Franklin Orr.